Current:Home > ScamsJohn Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -Elite Financial Minds
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 05:08:56
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry, and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (18365)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- LSU's X-factors vs. Iowa in women's Elite Eight: Rebounding, keeping Reese on the floor
- N.C. State and its 2 DJs headed to 1st Final Four since 1983 after 76-64 win over Duke
- LSU's Flau'jae Johnson thrives on basketball court and in studio off of it
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- A California woman missing for more than a month is found dead near a small Arizona border town
- Missing 4-year-old's body found, mother Janet Garcia arrested in connection to his murder
- LSU's X-factors vs. Iowa in women's Elite Eight: Rebounding, keeping Reese on the floor
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- The Black Crowes soar again with Happiness Bastards, the group's first album in 15 years
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- California man convicted of killing his mother as teen is captured in Mexico
- Age vs. Excellence. Can Illinois find way to knock off UConn in major March Madness upset?
- Visa, Mastercard agree to $30B deal with merchants. What it means for credit card holders.
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- UCLA coach regrets social media share; Iowa guard Sydney Affolter exhibits perfect timing
- Oxford-Cambridge boat racers warned of alarmingly high E. coli levels in London's sewage-infused Thames
- Plan to watch the April 2024 total solar eclipse? Scientists need your help.
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Women's March Madness highlights: Caitlin Clark, Iowa move to Elite Eight after Sweet 16 win
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hey Siri
Fulton County DA Fani Willis plans to take a lead role in trying Trump case
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Americans star on an Iraqi basketball team. Its owners include forces that attacked US troops
Oklahoma highway reopens following shutdown after a barge hit a bridge
Connecticut blitzes Illinois and continues March Madness domination with trip to Final Four